If there’s one thing I’ve been craving this pregnancy, it’s strawberry lemonade. But, I’m really picky about it and only like it from certain places. My favorite ever is the Freckled Lemonade from Red Robin. We don’t go there often but you could bet money that when we do I will have one of those sitting in front of me.
With Memorial Day this week, I wanted to make a fun, non-alcoholic drink for our barbecue and strawberry lemonade popped into my head right away.
I’ve never made homemade lemonade and it’s on my Top 100 list so I thought it was about time that I gave it a try. And oh my goodness am I glad I did. It was a-mazing! I would even venture to say it was better than Red Robin’s because it had that bubbly, effervescence from the lemon lime soda.
I also think it would be fabulous with lime juice instead of lemon to make a homemade version of Sonic’s strawberry limeade (another addiction of mine). Mmm, mmm good.
- 1 heaping cup chopped strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 1/3-2/3 cup sugar*
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1 1/4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 1/2 cups cold lemon lime soda, chilled
- Combine all the strawberry syrup ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. You could strain it at this point to get rid of the strawberry seeds, pressing it through a fine sieve to get as much liquid through as possible. I didn’t do this and was perfectly happy with the results. Refrigerate.
- Combine the 1/3- 2/3 cup sugar and hot water then stir until dissolved. Add the lemon juice, strawberry and lemon lime soda if serving right. If you are making this ahead of time, do not mix in the lemon lime soda and place in the refrigerator. Once you are ready to serve, pour in the soda.
- *The original recipe calls for 2/3 but uses sparkling water instead of the lemon lime soda. Because of the sugar in the soda, you could do with less sugar. If you like your lemonade more on the sweet side, stick with 2/3 but if you prefer it to be a bit more tart use 1/3 cup instead.