I have been trying to create light but satisfying lunches to eat during the week that are still quick and easy to prepare with a little man running around. And this BBQ Chicken Salad is a total winner. The great thing about this meal is that it can all be prepared ahead of time then thrown together right before you are ready to eat. That’s my kind of weekday lunch!
You could either eat the chicken cold (if made the night before) or warm on this salad. I prefer it warm because for some reason it just seems more satisfying to me. But when summer comes around I’m sure I will like it cold for a nice, light and refreshing meal.
This actually isn’t too much of a recipe. It’s more of an idea featuring flavor combinations that I enjoy. You can switch out or add different ingredients to suit your taste. I think black beans would be a great addition to this salad. An extra little drizzle of barbeque sauce would be great too.
- 1 chicken breast, pounded thinly
- 3 Tbsp. barbeque sauce
- ½ head iceberg or romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces
- handful of frozen corn, thawed
- ¼ English cucumber
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbsp. red onion, thinly sliced (I don’t like raw onion so I skipped but thought others would enjoy them)
- handful of tortilla strips (found by the croutons)
- ranch dressing
- Heat a skillet to medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken on one side then flip and generously slather with barbeque sauce. Flip and slather the other side. Cook until chicken is done and juices run clear. Remove to cutting board and let it sit for a few minutes for the juices to redistribute. Slice chicken into bite size pieces.
- Layer lettuce, corn, cucumbers, onion, cheese, chicken and tortilla strips. Drizzle with desired amount of ranch dressing.
March 28, 2012 at 4:58 pm
Wow, this looks so good! Would love to make this someday:)
Following your FB.
Also inviting you to join our meatless recipe blog hop/showcase at http://olahmomma.com/momlounge. You are also very welcome to add your blog here: http://olahmomma.com/momlounge/node/add/blog-list
Hope to see ya there! Have a great day:)
The Quiet Mom at http://olahmomma.com
March 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm
What a different Chicken Salad and I can’t wait to try it, looks awesome! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
April 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm
[…] BBQ Chicken Salad by Meg’s Everyday Indulgence […]
April 4, 2012 at 2:01 am
[…] Artichoke Quiche by Carolina Heart Strings; BBQ Chicken Salad by Meg’s Everyday Indulgence; Healthy Stir Fry by Naked Moxie;White Chocolate Creme Brulle by […]