OMG…this is the most amazing meal I have made in a long time! I’m not really surprised considering my love of cheese and pasta and anything buffalo. It really is a dream combination for my tummy.
When I first looked at the recipe, I was a little concerned that it would be too spicy for the boys but it was just the right amount of buffalo flavor.
I think that the sour cream really helped mellow it out. But be warned, it is spicier when reheated.
My aunt has been waiting (not so patiently) for me to post this Top 100 recipe after I sent her a picture of it last week. I even got a reminder the other day on my Facebook page that I hadn’t posted about it yet. So here it is Aunt Mimi, buffalo mac-n-cheese!
- 7 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. elbow noodles
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3/4 cup hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground mustard
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar, shredded
- 8 oz. pepper jack, shredded
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
- 2 Tbsp. freshed chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a deep 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add the pasta and 2 minutes less than the package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add chicken and garlic, cooking until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup hot sauce and cook another 2 minutes, until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour and dry mustard and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in the half and half in two increments, allowing the sauce to thickening between each addition. Add remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce and stir until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese and sour cream until completely smooth.
- Spread half the pasta into the prepared pan. Top with chicken mixture then the remaining pasta. Pour cheese sauce over the pasta evenly and allow it to sink down into the dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter then toss with panko bread crumbs, bleu cheese and parsley. Sprinkle over the pasta and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.