It’s almost football season and that means it’s time for all the football food and appetizer. Start the game day with these Cheesy Pigs in a Blanket.
It’s just about football season guys and I’m here for it. Or here for the food. Whatever. Isn’t football food just the best?! There’s chicken wings, dips, all the buffalo things. There’s just nothing not to like about that situation.
So when fall rolls around I always have football food on the brain. This season is starting with Cheesy Pigs in a Blanket.
This isn’t your standard pigs in a blanket recipe. We’re stepping up our football food game, ok?!
I switched out the lil’ smokies for a smoked sausage link cut into chunks, the biscuit or crescent dough for a sheet of puff pastry dough and added some shredded cheddar cheese. We’re getting fancy up in here.
The smoked sausage adds way more flavor than the standard hot dog and a snappier bite. Not only is the puff pastry fancy but it adds a delicious flakiness to the pigs. The texture play between the smoked sausage and puff pastry is kind of magical.
And of course, cheese makes everything better. Oh, and everything bagel seasoning does too. It adds a punch of flavor with all those spices and adds to the fancy factor.
Once you have your ingredients lined up they come together in a snap. Let’s break down the process of making these tasty apps.
First, the puff pastry dough needs to be thawed before you start making the pigs in a blanket so make sure to account for that (it takes 40 minutes at room temperature).
Once the dough is thawed, cut it into 9 even squares and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly among the squares of puff pastry dough.
Next, the smoked sausage link needs to be sliced into 9 even pieces at about an inch and a half. Then place one diagonally on each cheesy puff pastry square.
Pull up the two opposite corners of puff pastry along the uncut sides of the sausage and pinch them to seal the dough.
To make sure the pigs in a blanket get extra golden, brush them with egg wash. Sprinkle them with everything bagel seasoning if desired or just simply a sprinkle of sea salt if you want to keep them simple.
Into the oven they go until the puff pastry is well, puffy and golden and crispy.
Serve them up with your favorite dipping sauces and beer (because we’re not getting THAT fancy) and watch them disappear.
Cheesy Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 14 oz. smoked sausage link
- 1 egg, beaten
- Everything Bagel Seasoning, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut puff pastry sheet into 9 equal squares. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the puff pastry squares. Cut the sausage link into 9 equal pieces and place them diagonally on top of the puff pastry squares.
- Pull two opposite corners up over the sausage and press together. Brush them with egg wash and sprinkle everything bagel seasoning. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until puffed and golden.