Surprise Dad this Father’s Day with a Loaded Breakfast Burger. All the breakfast classics are piled high on a juicy burger for a perfectly indulgent meal.
**Update: the text, recipe and photos within this post have been updated since the original publication date in June 2012.
Do you guys love the loaded burger craze? All the weird toppings and crazy combinations are a big hit around here and we’re always down for trying something new. I had gridled brussels on a burger recently and it was shockingly delicious. I guess that shows burgers make everything tasty.
Back in the day when Perkins was still around Joel absolutely loved their Sunrise Burger. It was basically breakfast on top of a burger and he loved everything about it. This is my recreation of that burger and over the years it has become our Father’s Day dinner tradition.
Let’s break down everything that goes into this burger:
- A juicy handmade burger patty
- Crispy hash browns
- Smoky, crispy thick-cut bacon
- A drippy, perfectly cooked egg
- Melted sharp cheddar cheese
I mean, how could that be wrong?!
The combination of flavors and textures is kind of crazy in a good way. There’s tender, crispy, chewy, melty, creamy and drippy all going on in this burger. And it’s kind of the best.
As you can see, there are a lot of elements that go into this burger but I promise you can get it all made in a relatively quick amount of time with some multi-tasking.
First, preheat your grill and two skillets on the stovetop. While the burgers are grilling, cook the bacon and hash browns. Once the hash browns are cooked use that same pan to cook the eggs so they are ready just when the burgers are done grilling.
Everything will be ready at about the same time and ready for assembly. All the best of breakfast and dinner in one. The best way to celebrate dad.
If you need another super fun burger for Father’s Day, be sure to check out these Taco Cheeseburgers too. I promise dad will love them.
Loaded Breakfast Burgers
- 1 lb. 80/20 ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups shredded hash browns
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- 4 hamburger buns
- Preheat grill over medium heat. Divide the ground beef into 4 equal parts and form into hamburger patties. Season with salt and pepper. Place on grill. Cook about 7 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, preheat two skillets over medium heat. Add bacon to one skillet and cook until crispy. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate. In the second skillet, add olive oil and the hash browns. Cook for 5 minutes, until golden and crispy. Flip and cook another 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet. Add a little more olive oil and crack the eggs into the skillet. Cook as desired. I think a drippy yolk is best.
- To assemble: Place a hamburger pattie on each bun. Top with hash browns, bacon and egg. Spread sour cream on the top bun and place on top.