If you’re in the Taco Tuesday everyday camp, you don’t want to miss these Beer Marinated Steak Tacos. Slightly citrusy, char grilled and topped with a deliciously creamy avocado sauce these will be the star of your next gathering.
We eat a lot of tacos. I love the versatility and often simplicity of them. I have to say my favorite thing about tacos in my house is that you make your own and put whatever you want in it.
There are always lots of filling/topping options so everybody is happy. That means no complaining and that my friends is what you call a mom win.
Because honestly, you can put anything in a tortilla and it will be good. It’s science.
But these tacos right here. They are going to rule summer. I want to eat them forever and ever.
Let’s talk about the star first, then we’ll move on to the very important side kicks. BEER marinated steak fills these tacos and believe your bellies will be full too.
I love citrus all the time but especially so when the weather is warm. With this in mind, I went with a grapefruit shandy for the main ingredient in this marinade.
There’s also some fresh orange juice thrown in there so you could go with Blue Moon or another beer that pairs nicely with orange. Use what you love and would drink on its own.
This steak can be marinated for as little as 1 hour if you’re in a hurry or you could let it go all day. Then the steak gets grilled and charred and delicious.
Now let’s talk about the all important sauce and garnish. Avocado and cheese. I have to tell you something and you have to promise to stick with me. I don’t love avocados. The texture weirds me out and they are just blah to me. But this creamy avocado sauce was a complete game changer for me.
First, it has some crazy fruity undertones and I was dying. Second, we ditch the weird, mushy chunks of guacamole for a super creamy sauce made in the food processor or blender.
Third, a little sour cream is thrown in there to add a little tanginess and interest. I drowned my taco in it. I dipped my chips in it. I ate it with a spoon. SO good.
And the cheese. It’s got to be crumbled queso fresco. It’s authentic, slightly salty and just right to balance out the rich steak and fruity creamy avocado sauce. If cilantro is your thing, top them with a few sprigs and you’re golden.
I’ve never been so excited for Tuesday in my life.
Beer Marinated Steak Tacos
For the Steak:
- 1 large flank steak
- 1 bottle citrus beer (I used Leinenkugel’s Grapefruit Shandy)
- 1 large orange, juiced and keep halves
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
For the Creamy Avocado Sauce:
- 3 large avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream
- Corn or flour tortillas (I used street taco sized ones)
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Chopped onion
- Combine beer, orange juice, orange halves, salt and pepper in a large zip top bag. Add the flank steak and seal. Marinate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Before grilling, remove steak from refrigerator for 30 minutes to remove the chill. This helps it cook more evenly. Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade and grill to desired doneness. Place orange halves on the grill for a few minutes to char. Remove steak from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes while you assemble the toppings. Squeeze (with tongs) the orange halves over the steak. If desired, place tortillas on the grill quickly to toast and slightly char. Set aside.
- For the creamy avocado sauce: put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Slice steak against the grain and top tortillas with it along with desired garnishes. Drizzle with creamy avocado sauce and enjoy.