Slow Cooker Potato Corn Chowder is sure to become a fall favorite. Green chiles bring a little spice while the creamy potatoes and sweet corn bring the comfort. It all cooks up in the slow cooker for a simple dinner.
We are having our first day of true fall weather around here and I think I like it. Not quite sure yet since it was 80 degrees yesterday and it’s in the mid-50s today. Noah came down this morning in shorts and a t-shirt since it was so nice yesterday and was very sad to be sent back upstairs to exchange it for pants and long sleeves. The weather always likes to keep us on our toes.
I didn’t think there was a more perfect day than today to share my new favorite cold weather meal with you, Slow Cooker Potato Corn Chowder. It will warm you up and give you life guys. I promise.
Plus, it’s ridiculously easy to throw together in the morning so you can come home to a warm, satisfying dinner. The slow cooker comes to the rescue with this one.
My slow cooker and I are besties when school starts and fall hits and it seems to be that way with you all too. When I asked last month what you wanted to see for fall, slow cooker recipes was the top request. So here I am making it happen. I have another one coming your way soon so keep an eye out for that too.
I know there are a lot of recipes out there for potato corn chowder so I wanted to change mine up to make it a little different and interesting. How do I do that? With green chiles and bacon of course.
Potatoes and corn don’t have a whole lot of flavor so adding the green chiles adds an interesting dimension and a very slight spiciness. And bacon brings the smokey, saltiness which is a nice contrast to the sweet corn. Also as we all know, bacon makes everything better.
And dare I say this is even better leftover. If you know me, you know it takes a lot for me to say those words. I am not a fan of leftovers and avoid them at all cost. The flavors get stronger and the soup thickens up the next day making it kind of perfection.
Keep on scrolling for another potato soup favorite.
Slow Cooker Potato Corn Chowder
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 16 oz. bag frozen sweet corn
- 1 1/2 lbs. golden potatoes, diced in bite-size chunks
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 5 slices thick-cut peppered bacon
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the onions and garlic until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Dump onions and garlic, chicken stock, corn (no need to thaw), potatoes, green chiles with liquid and half and half into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Toss shredded cheese with cornstarch and stir into the soup. Stir into the soup (after the 7-8 or 3-4 hours have passed) and cook another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the bacon into small pieces and cook until crisp. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a sprinkling of crispy bacon.
Looking for more potato soup recipes? Try this super simple ham and potato soup also made in the slow cooker!
October 10, 2017 at 10:54 am
This was SO good. Thinking I will need to make it this week!
October 10, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Thanks friend! Glad you liked it. Seems like it will be the perfect week for soup.