With cucumbers teeming in the garden and at the farmer’s market, put them to good use and make these Quick Refrigerator Pickles. Simple ingredients and a little time results in fresh, crunchy pickles perfect for snacking on all summer long.
I went to the farmers’ market for the first time this summer on Saturday and I accidentally bought only sugar laden products. Oops. But, I mean, fresh cinnamon rolls, cookies and homemade jelly are kind of a must, right? I think so. I promise I would have bought healthy things but I’d gone grocery shopping for the week before making plans for the farmers’ market so I wasn’t in need of anything.
There were cucumbers everywhere which of course made me think of all my favorite salad. And homemade pickles. We’ve had these quick refrigerator pickles on repeat around here.
We are big pickle fans around here and we’re kind of snobs about them too. We have our favorite brand and that’s all we buy.
I think we’ll be saving some money this summer now that we have a favorite homemade variety.
These pickles honestly couldn’t get easier. They start with equal parts water, sugar and vinegar. You simply bring it to a heavy simmer and cook until the sugar dissolves. This creates a zippy yet sweet brine for those delicious, crisp pickles to soak up.
Then you add whatever spices and flavors you love in pickles. Our favorites are garlic cloves, peppercorns and lots of fresh dill.
Stuff the cucumbers, garlic, peppercorns and dill evenly into jars then pour the brine to the top of the jars and allow them to cool to room temperature.
Refrigerate those bad boys for a day and you’re ready to rumble. We tried them after only 12 hours and they were already so good. Yep, that’s how much we love pickles that we just couldn’t wait a full day. And yes, we had pickles with our breakfast. No shame in our game.
These are obviously great on their own but they are also great on sandwiches. Like this one I shared last week. Moral of the story. Make the pickles. Eat the pickles.
Quick Refrigerator Pickles
- 1-1 1/2 lbs. salad cucumbers
- 3 large sprigs fresh dill
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. peppercorns
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Wash cucumbers well and slice into coins or spears. Pack into a large jar or several small jars. Add dill, garlic and peppercorns evenly to the jars. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar and water. Bring mixture to a boil and cook until sugar dissolves.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and leave on counter top until liquid reaches room temperature. Place lids on jars and refrigerate. They are ready to eat after a day. Good for up to 1 month.