These taco stuffed sweet potatoes are an easy, healthy and filling dinner that will make the whole family happy.
I love baked potatoes. You know, the ones stuffed with butter, cheese, bacon and sour cream. They are probably one of my favorite things in life. Potatoes stuffed with BBQ pulled pork, buffalo chicken and chili are equally delicious.
But these options aren’t the best when you are trying to make healthy choices so I went on a mission to create a healthy baked potato that was still satisfying.
First, I opted for a sweet potato over a traditional russet to up the nutrition factor. Then I filled them with lean ground turkey spiced with my favorite homemade taco seasoning and black beans for some protein that makes them super filling. Then you can get creative as you want, topping them with your favorite taco accompaniments.
What makes them even better is that everything can be made ahead of time and just reheated when you are ready to eat. So make double and you’ll have lunch all week.
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes, baked
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Cheese, salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced onion, avocado
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the ground turkey. When it is close to being done, sprinkle on the taco seasoning and stir until it's evenly distributed. Continue to cook until turkey is no longer pink.
- In a small saucepan, combine black beans (undrained), garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until warmed through.
- Split baked sweet potatoes in half and fill with ground turkey, black beans and desired toppings.