Joel has always loved chocolate covered cherries at the holidays so instead of buying them this year, I went on the hunt for a fun homemade recipe. I have never made chocolate cherries before and when I came across this recipe I knew they would be a simple and yummy little addition to my holiday baking. And what’s better than chocolate covered cherries than drunken chocolate cherries? But let me warn you, they pack a huge punch.
These little cuties start out with a good soak in Southern Comfort or brandy then they are drained, patted dry and dipped in dark chocolate. Although the process takes some time due to the soaking, they are incredibly simple to make. Whip up a huge batch so that you can keep some for yourself and pack up the rest for some friends or neighbors.
Although the booze is strong in these little cherries, the sweetness from the maraschino cherries still shines through. Plus, chocolate + fruit is a magical combination so there’s really nothing to lose with this one.
- 1 (10 oz.) jar maraschino cherries with stems
- 1/2 c. Southern Comfort (or brandy)
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or some dark chocolate candy melts)
- 1 Tbsp. shortening
- Drain the juice from the jar of maraschino cherries. Pour Southern Comfort over cherries in the jar, filling the jar. Refrigerate for 2 days, or for up to 1 month.
- Drain cherries and pat them dry with some paper towels (you may want to reserve the cherry-infused Southern Comfort to drizzle over vanilla ice cream or to use in mixed drinks!). Melt the chocolate chips (or candy melts) together with the shortening in a bowl by microwaving for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Dip cherries quickly into melted chocolate, coating the entire cherry; let excess chocolate drip back into the bowl. Place cherries, stem sides up, on wax paper. Let stand until chocolate is firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
December 17, 2011 at 9:59 am
Beautiful! These are perfect for the holidays. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!
December 17, 2011 at 9:06 pm
an adult treat for sure
December 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm
Oh my yumminess! I love these!! I’d love for you to link up to my Feature Friday Linky Party
Blissful & Domestic
December 19, 2011 at 9:00 am
My MIL loves chocolate covered cherries. Last year, I accidentally got drunken ones and I actually really loved them too. I’d love to try these out this year 🙂
Stopping by from Crazy Sweet Tuesday! (reallllll late)
January 6, 2012 at 8:10 am
[…] are my favs from last week :: Coffee Rum Sauce by Life Currents Drunken Chocolate Cherries by Meg’s Everyday Indulgence Penguin Oreo Pops by The Sweet Swiper Hot Chocolate Cake in a Jar by No Ideas Eggnog Blondies by […]
January 6, 2012 at 9:15 am
This is such a great idea! Simplistic & Delicious. Thanks for posting this one Meg.
June 27, 2012 at 5:02 pm
I’m pretty sure that if you soak them for less time—say just overnight—they won’t be as potent. That’s what I’ve read elsewhere. Thanks for the post!
July 30, 2012 at 4:06 am