Chili season is upon us and this Chipotle Chili is my favorite. It's the perfect amount of hearty, smoky and spicy all in one bowl.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 16 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Heat a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Drizzle olive oil into pot and add onion and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened and translucent. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, chopped chipotle peppers and tomato paste to the ground beef. Stir well and cook another 2 minutes, until it turns a rusty color. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
Bring to a light simmer and cover almost all the way, leaving a little space for steam to escape. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, until thickened, stirring about every 15 minutes.