5 Bean Vegetarian Chili
Whip up a batch of this 5 Bean Vegetarian Chili for your next gathering. Great for football watch parties, chilly fall days and weeknights alike.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15.5 oz. can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp. cornmeal
Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium low heat. Add olive oil and onion. Saute 2 to 3 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add garlic and salt and cook another minute. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, crushed tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bump up heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Stir in beans and cornmeal. Cook another 10 to 15 minutes, until beans are heated through and chili has thickened.