Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Stew
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Stew is a snap to make in just 20 minutes. It's warming, hearty and spicy. Filled with chicken, beans, rice, sweet potatoes.
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 large yellow onion, small dice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into bite-size chunks
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup roasted salsa verde (or regular salsa verde)
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
Turn instant pot on saute mode. Add avocado oil and onions. Saute for 1 minute then add the salt, grated garlic and cumin. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until softened and golden. Turn saute mode off.
Add sweet potato, chicken, brown rice, chicken stock and salsa verde to the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Lock lid then turn set to cook on manual for 20 minutes.
Allow the pressure to release naturally for ten minutes then move valve to release the rest of the pressure. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred, being careful not to burn yourself. Add chicken back to the soup along with the drained, rinsed black beans.